Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday - Lent begins (2 new posts)

So as Ash Wednesday falls upon us, my thoughts turn toward fasting, prayer and almsgiving. What to give up (fasting) is always a major decision for me. Last year I gave up bread ... and proceeded to try to convince anyone in earshot that it is not Irish Soda BREAD but Irish Soda CAKE - I should know, I am Irish!

My DH teases me about what I choose to give up b/c it always has an exception. HEY THIS IS MY FAST NOT YOURS!!!

This year I decided to give up meat again - I did this one a few years back and it is not easy. However, before I made this decision I was at Costco and bought a 6 can pack of canned chicken - to put on my salads. So this year was to be all meat EXCEPT those particular 6 cans of chicken... b/c since I spent $ on those cans I could not afford to buy fish too!!! OK - reality set in for me and what I can afford this morning. Say, for instance, that I opened a can of chicken for my salad and decided that I did not like this particular kind... what would I do? I would go to the store and buy some fish and leave the other 5 cans for Jim to eat. That being the case - I am going all out this year. NO exceptions!! All meat gone for 6 weeks! The Church does give us Sundays off though, so we will call those Steak Sundays! J/k - I tend not to utilize the Sunday off rule.

Also - brace yourselves - diet coke is on my fast list for Lent too. Those who know me well know that this will be a challenge. I am hoping to give it up for good - and not replace it with coffee this time either. I have been slowly weaning myself off of it for the past 2 weeks so as to not undergo severe caffeinne headaches. I have switched to diet root beer. Don't laugh - it is a step in the right direction. I am hoping to replace the diet root beer with water shortly.

Prayer - I have switched my CD collection in the car back over to scripture / Catholic lecture type stuff for the next 6 weeks. I intend to add one extra Mass in each week. I am still working out the details of that.

Almsgiving - Haven't gotten there yet. Will keep you posted.

Happy Lent!

2 comments:

Her Harlequin said...

just remember dear friend as you spend Lent preparing yourself to follow Jesus's lead - He wants to lead you to a better life, not to a pychiatrist's couch!

Good Luck with Lent

(and I too say that with much love!)

Her Harlequin said...

funny how we (or at least I) keep checking, keep anticipating, keep hoping (mostly because trying to find you and follow you on Facebook or elsewhere is in my simple mind too hard)

I'll be back tomorrow!