Friday, January 23, 2009

Weekly check in

So lately at the end of the day I feel like this baby weights about 100 pounds ... sometimes it feels this way even in the middle of the day if I am doing a lot of walking (like grocery shopping, etc.). Also, I have been gaining a bit more weight than usual - not enormously, but more than weeks past (like this past week I gained 3 whole pounds!). And while I seemingly stopped having morning sickness in month 7, the other day it returned for no apparent reason.

It is because of these things that I am happy we have weekly appointments with our wonderful doctor (no more nurse practitioner!!!).

THis week we spent a bit longer on the monitors than last week because the baby was being stubborn. I had to eat a granola bar and drink a cold cup of water to try to get the baby to be active. Eventually everything was fine - not that it was a problem, just that the activity level was low but that was due to the timing of the appointment in relation to when I had eaten breakfast. No problem.

To answer the latest "symptoms" from paragraph 1:
Heavy baby? that is because the head has dropped one stage
Weight gain? water retention
return of morning sickness? Happens to some women at the end of pregnancy, nobody knows why but it is not harmful

Also, there has been no change this week in dilation or thinning of the cervix. On the dr's way out of the room she said "See you next week." I said - you sound pretty confident of that. She laughed and said yup. So we have at least another week to go.

In other news:
The baby's room is finished. (well almost) It is painted thanks to Una getting on Jim's case and telling him she was mad at him for not painting it yet. I think Jim is afraid of Una so she can prompt him to action pretty easily (don't tell Jim I said that!!) My sister and I hung the Pooh border and it is just the cutest thing EVER! She and I also put the crib together. I ironed the crib skirt and put it on. I also ironed the window valances. I set up the changing table and even that is adorable (it is my grandmother's mirrored beareau that we converted using a contoured changing pad.) I have cleaned the miniblinds on one window and have hung the Pooh valance on that window - and will do the same to the other window today. I set up a little bookcase for the Pooh lamp (and made sure it was plugged into the right outlet to be able to turn it on by the light switch) and ipod player to sit on, and to house the books we have received and 3 baskets of 1-bath supplies 2- rattles, teethers, etc. and 3-ummm I cant remember what is in the third one...

I bought little bins that tuck under the crib to hold the larger clothing that we received as gifts until such a time that the baby will fit into them and labled them as well ... 3-6 MO, 6-9 mo, and 9mo and up.

I washed all the sheets, blankets, washcloths, towels, and 0-3mo clothes and have put them away in drawers.

I also did a MAJOR cleaning of our room and made the mirror image switching to put me on the side of the bed that the bassinet will be on. This included cleaning out of the bedside tables, cleaning off of all surfaces, dusting and throwing away a ton of stuff including our old paper lamps from Ikea (which Jim was a little rough with and seemed to tore his multiple times). Not to worry though, I had purchased a sleeker paper lamp of each bedside table some time ago and Just had not set them up yet. They look great! I have adjusted quite well to my new side of the bed... Jim on the other hand, not so much. He has difficulty with change. He says that it is difficult to adjust to the new side because of the C-PAP machine ... because when he is lying on his left side the hose should be out in front of him... and on his right side the hose should have to come up and over his head and now it is the opposite and just impossible to get used to... and, he says, it would just be MUCH easier for him to get up at night when the baby wakes up to pick up the baby and do the hand off to me. I told him to get over it and settle in to his new side. We'll see how long it takes.

Anyway, I believe what has been happening this week with all the cleaning and organizing is what is commonly referred to as Nesting. So let the nesting continue!

No comments: