Sunday, March 01, 2009

Week one - the adventure begins

So many people told me to take it easy the first week at home ... put your feet up... sleep when the baby sleeps... leave the household chores - they can wait... I was looking forward to this time of rest and settling in with our beautiful son.

For us, things were a little different as life at home this week was a bit hectic... Monday we went the pediatrician b/c Liam wasn’t nursing well and he was just totally inconsolable. It was breaking my heart. Well it was the right call to go in as 1. he had lost too much weight overnight (born at 8.6, released from hospital at 7.15 on Sunday afternoon, weighed in at 7.5 at pediatrician) so they had us supplement for 48 hours to get him to thrive which worked like a charm and 2. the pediatrician found a couple of oral lesions in the very back of his mouth which he didn't like as that is where viruses hang out.

Tuesday, the pediatrician called us to say he had done some more research on the lesions and decided we should go to children’s and have them swabbed and tested. So we packed up and went there. Our dr. was the head of pediatric residency program at children’s so he had called ahead and had a great team waiting for us to arrive. They were wonderful.

Wednesday, back to pediatrician for a follow-up weight check and thankfully he had gained back everything he had lost. He is nursing like a champ now.

Thursday we were looking forward to a quiet day at home, but I had called my dr. to ask about my swelling. Literally it looked like someone replaced my feet and ankles with those of an elephant - and my hands were so swollen that the skin was splitting... she said she wasn't concerned with the swelling, but she would be if I had a headache ... which I had been complaining about all day ... so she had me come in for a blood pressure check. Now my BP is normally somewhere around 117/70, but in her office that day it was 150/105 - SCAREY! She took it again after I had laid down for 10 minutes and it hadn't changed much so she sent us back in to BI to have them draw blood and monitor the BP in case it was Preeclampsia. (never a dull moment!!) All tests came back fine at BI and I was released.

Finally, Friday and Saturday we were able to spend some quiet time at home with feet elevated and Jim waiting on us completely so that we could remain comfortable and healthy... the way life should be. Incidentally, since we have not received any phone calls from the hospital, we are to assume that Liam's tests all came back negative also.

Now that things have settled down, life with a baby is the most amazing experience of my life. I had no idea that this level of love could exist. It is the purest example of the love of God that I have experienced on a human level. It is truly an experience that has to be lived to be understood.

Onward to week 2...

No comments: