Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Oh the Irish social club story?

Well, if you don't know the infamous Irish Social Club Story, let me take a moment to tell you:

It was St. Patrick's Day, 2002
My mom had staked out our table most of the afternoon for our arrival at around 7ish at the ISC, which, you can imagine, was packed.
We decorated our table, tied balloons to chairs, confetti et al
There were about 12 of us I think
Well at around 8:30 ish, we all were up dancing our hearts out and when we returned there were 2 little old ladies and one lille old man sitting at our table in our seats.
I kindly let them know that we were sitting there and one of the ladies said something like "well there are more chairs over there" and pointed to a stack of chairs.
I responded delicately that we would like to remain seated with the rest of our rather large party.
She barked back at me that we could sit with them if we went and got our own chairs, for they were keeping the ones they were sitting in since our names were not on them, and incidentally neither were our butts.
I skipped over and got us our new chairs and the night continued on pleasantly.
... I think that is how it went ... that is how I remember it anyway.

5 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

Hmmmmm I wonder if the Irish Mist is flowing over that story? I feel like I am missing part of it....

pflan said...

very interesting sojourner ... your recollection is a little different than mine ... were you really there or have you just heard the legend?

HerMajesty00 said...

I learned some important lessons from this story. One, Paula's memory can be a little hazy. (I hope in the future she remembers me as a slim size 4). Two, her friends are more than willing to rat her out. (Whomever Sojourner is.) And three, NEVER EVER take Paula's chair, name on it or not!

HerMajesty00 said...

Nice Story - short but sweet

(or at least short. 50-50 chance on the sweet part evidently! Can we get an impartial witness?)

margmor said...

Thank GOD another witness has shared her story. I thought I was losing my mind! I remember that night totally differently. I will honestly admit that I don't remember any F words, but I do remember the temperature rising in the room. Which is saying a lot because it was a very large room!! Either way, it was a fun night. Wonder why we've never been invited back?