Thursday, November 06, 2008

Week 26 completed

No Margo - I am not going to wait five months before posting again, but I thought perhaps weekly updates would suffice...

I remind you all that I do not read ahead in my book to find out what might be coming up as far as bodily changes and symptoms. I prefer to use the "What to Expect" book more as a "Should I have expected this?!?!" It is more fun that way, usually...

This week as I was reclining on the couch Saturday night after a long day of car shopping/buying (we got a corolla), and a I-ordered-way-too-much-food dinner of which I took half home for later, the baby shifted positions (probably as uncomfortable as I was with all that food bulging out the tummy), and I instinctively moved my hand across my belly in a "simmer down now" kinda fashion. Only this particular time I was caught off guared by an outward ridge where my perfect innie belly button once resided. I had to pull up my shirt to see what could possibly be stuck to my belly button and it was in fact MY BELLY BUTTON!!!

Breathe easy my friends, the belly button has since receded to an innie position again though more of a flattie at times. But it turns out this is common at week 26 in pregnancy... and yes, I should have expected it to pop like a well done turkey (just in time for thanksgiving, I guess) My mom and sister say their belly buttons never popped, but they also never puked, etc. I think they just didn't notice that change. But then again, they both gained weight during pregnancy and I, as I approach the end of my second trimester am still in the lost category. I am just saying, pregnancy is different for everyone and it the book says it is to be expected then who am I to judge...

Now for an update on the aforementioned puking. I had gone the past 2 weeks puke free until this morning. I had an early DRE meeting and I guess this little one does not do mornings ... or it could have been the blueberry bread that I had for breakfast that the 6th graders made last night. You never really know how a 6th grader's bread will turn out so I had to try it before we deliver it to the homebound. Jim's comment this morning after he tried a slice was, "Oh my gosh! Was that not the heaviest bread you have ever eaten? I don't think I will even need lunch today." That about sums it up...

I did have a good energy day this week on Wednesday, which was good since I had to shop for the bread supplies, shop for decorating supplies for the bread bags, shop for fleece to make baby blankets for Birthright, set up the hall in stations, and run between all the classes making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to. (and yell at the 8th graders who were rotating between talking about the new marijuana law and something that "sucks" those were the two main things I heard coming from their room. I was their primary adult supervision as their teacher was in the hospital with his wife having a baby. This particular group of 8th graders (boys especially) need a full time supervisor ... and possibly tape over their mouths. Anyhow, it was good that I had energy cause I probably would have sat down and cried otherwise.

"what to expect" says that the baby should have started to open his eyes this week and would react if you held a flashlight up to your tummy "hey, what the heck is that bright light shining in my eyes" kind of way. Jim said "that just sounds cruel." I agreed. We won't be shining a flashlight in our baby's eyes.

Also, the baby's brainwave activity is kicking it so now can not only hear noises but respond to them as well by movement of course. The baby should be weighing in at approx 2 pounds this week and measuring 9 inches.

When we were at Brigham and Women's this week visiting a friend there was a young guy in the elevator. He was going to neonatal icu to visit his daughter who was born at 23 weeks. The mom's water broke and all they could do was deliver and hope for the best. He said the baby (and mom too) was doing great and was beautiful. That made us feel good since we were 3 weeks beyond that. Not that we are planning for that type of situation, but it was nice to hear that the baby was doing well. Just saying.

One more week of second trimester and we are on to the THIRD!! Yippee!!!

No comments: