Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Week 28 - Perfect

We had our last monthly Dr. appointment yesterday and now we are on the every other week plan for the remainder of the 3rd trimester. It was a great appointment. I gained 1.8 pounds in the last month (actually I drank quite a bit of water before going in ... my scale at home shows 0.5 gain) and she while I am still 1 pound under where I began (little does she know that by the time I saw her I was already down 10 pounds from the actual "beginning" of the pregnancy), at the rate that we are going, I should gain a total of 15 pounds during the pregnancy. Very few women can accomplish the range set by thier doctor, so for weight gain, I am perfect.

My blood pressure was once again perfect. (Remember it was high early on so these perfect readings are really wonderful)

The baby's heart rate is 150, and was strong and loud - again perfect.

The baby moved 4 times while she was listening for the heartbeat. She said that was great and that we now need to beging counting movements for the remainder of the pregnancy. We need to start couonting when we wake up and need to have 10 movements in by 6:00pm. She thinks we will have no problem since it seems our baby is VERY active. She was right. This morning it took 10 minutes to count 10 movements.

An hour before the appointment I had to drink this sugary drink (tasted like those teeny weenie drinks of childhood... that you could only drink one of before having a sugar high like no other ... ya, the amount I had to drink was like 3 teenie weenies) so that they could draw blood to test for gestational diabetes, the results will be back this afternoon. They also test for anemia, again results will be back this afternoon.

On my way out I got a flu shot and a Rho-gam shot. The flu shot to protect me from - you guessed it - the flu. Apparently, when a pregnant woman gets the flu, she is at high risk for developing flu-pneumonia. This often leads to being on a respirator and often death. So yikes! THe Rho-gam shot is because my blood type is negative and Jim is positive, so there is a chance that the baby's blood is positive. If that is the case, and the baby's blood mixes with my blood, which can happen through various ways (including birth itself) especially in the 3rd trimester, then my negative blood will react by building up antibodies to this supposed invader and reject it... "it" is the baby. So Rho-gam prevents this reaction. I get one shot now at 28 weeks and another just before delivery which then protects me from developing the antibodies after birth so that I would be able to safely carry another baby later. Interesting stuff, eh?

On the next topic - sleeping - suffice it to say I am not. It is very uncomfortable. I even bought a new pillow support to help, and it does, but still not enough. My hips ache by the morning. But ther is only 12 weeks left, right?

So that is my weekly update.

No comments: