Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Keep your eyes on where you are going

So, I was driving to work today, traveling down the twisty road that leads to my parish - and traveling at a good clip since I was supposed to be presenting at the wednesday lunch group meeting which was to start at 11:30 and it was 11:31 at the time - when a car came into view traveling in the other direction toward me. It is a narrow road and one slip of the grip on the wheel can easily put you over the middle line. I always get nervous when a car is coming toward me on this road ... but especially today as I was travelin gslightly faster than recommended by those speed suggestion signs - and so was this other car, and I know that 2 wrongs never make a right. I navigated the curves of the road skillfully by focussing my eyes on the right hand side of the road - staying as close to the right as possible and did not look (except for a glance) at the car coming toward me ... I remembered this trick - or skill - from my driver's ed days. Keep your eyes on where you want to go. If you look at the obstacle, you will naturally collide with the obsticle. The obstacle used best is a car with high beams on coming toward you - remember that lesson?

SO - I realized something about ministry in that moment! (incidently, I did just fine on that road this morning for those who may be concerned) I learned that I have to keep my eyes in the direction that I am trying to go, and NOT on the "obstacle". Sure, recognize the obstacle for what it is ... and where it is, but LOOK at where I am going.

Then I did a write up about what youth ministry looks like where I am heading with it as if it is already happening. It looks great by the way! I will share it in bite size pieces. Knowing that there are 8 components of youth ministry: Advocacy, Catechesis, Community Life, Evangelization, Service and Justice, Leadership Development, Pastoral Care and Prayer and Worship.

Here is my vision of advocacy:
ADVOCACY

Within St. Ann parish, the youth are encouraged to be involved within as many facets of parish life as possible. Through our Confirmation retreats, we encourage the teens to be involved in the Mass. With encouragement, many have gone on to serve in various ways within the parish. There are youth involved as lectors and Eucharistic ministers. There are youth serving as members of the Parish Council. St. Ann Parish has an outstanding youth community, and we recognize them when possible through bulletin announcements, newspaper articles, TV coverage when appropriate and by nominating those dedicated teens for national and archdiocesan awards.
We are in the process of developing a newsletter written and formatted by youth, for youth which will include an adult and a parent insert. This newsletter will be distributed to the entire parish.

1 comment:

margmor said...

I love that visual, of looking toward where you want to go. Now if I could only figure out where that is!