Monday, September 25, 2006

Guess who I met this morning...


Conaaaaaaaaaaaaaan OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn That is Conan O'Brien. Woot! Woot!

J and I went to the press event for the grand opening of Cor Unum Meal Center (means one heart in Latin). It is a place where people can go to get a meal 365 days a year. It is supported by Labels Are For Jars see more on it at www.labelsareforjars.org

The project was started by the pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Lawrence Fr. Paul O'Brien (aka Fr. O'Dreamy). Fr. Paul and Conan were roommates in college and have remained friends ever since. Conan is a central committee member of Labels and was on hand this morning fo rthe ribbon cutting and bread breaking ceremony.

So it was cool to be there for a number of reasons - first that a couple of years ago, O'Dreamy took J and me on a tour of the area behind his parish. Down and embankment, across the railroad tracks and up a hill was an old gravel and sand storage building which then was housing many of Lawrences homeless population as did the banks of the railroad tracks at the time. He took us inside the building and showed us where people had made their homes and then to a hole in the side of this building and said --see here - look across the railroad tracks - my vision is that there in the vacant lot will stand a meal center to feed these people and many other people who are hungry in Lawrence. First and formost, (he was pointing to the vacant lot) people will know where they will get their next meal. Eventually as they begin to be able to hold their head up high again they will see where the meal came from and he raised his hand up to the church - it comes from the love of God. Well today that vision is a reality, and it was great to be there for the opening.

During the press conference, Conan looked down to where I was standing and looked directly at me. I almost waved before I realized that while I knew him because he comes into my livingroom (or sometimes bedroom) each night, he did not in reality know me. A few minutes later as I was wondering aroung the rooms of the center checking everything out, a woman stopped me and said hi in a very familiar tone. I stared blankly at her and said um - hi. She said, Oh don't you remember I met you last night ... I was with so-and-so. I said, um ... I am a youth minister in Wayland and I had a parent meeting last night .... so .... unless you are one of my parents... and she said Oh my gosh no! There is a woman who could be your twin who was here last night. She is on the leadership team. Really you could be her twin.

As the morning progressed I noticed that many people were looking at me funny - like they knew me and were waiting for me to say hi. Then this guy on the leadership team was walking by me and patted me on the pack. I turned and looked at him and he looked right at me like - Hey. So I said - um hi? He said, OMG I am so sorry. You look just like this woman I know - I mean JUST like her. I said that mistake had been happenning all morning. He said it was really uncanny how much we looked alike. He said - If you ever need a stunt double I know just the person for you... I told him to tell her that I would be her stunt double whenever she needed one cause stunt doubles get paid the big bucks.

So then there were all kinds of press interviews going on all around and fianlly conan and o'dreamy emerged from the kitchen and o'dreamy introduced conan to j and me. (incidently - wet noodle handshake - ick) but then outside, I asked o'dreamy if I could get my picture with conan and he said sure - quickly b/c he had to get him to the airport. and there it was! I am thinking of sending the picture to my twin since she could claim it is her - apparently everybody would believe it!

No comments: